Saturday, December 18, 2010

Do or Do Not, There is No Try

Prompt #18 – Try
What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it? (Author: Kaileen Elise)


I'm going to try not to Bucket List.

This year, last year, and basically every year since I've been out of college, I've been super in to the idea of Roller Derby. My record label even sponsored one of the Philly teams, the Heavy Metal Hookers - and yet, somehow, I'd never gone to a derby match before this year.

(In my defense, they just never synched up with my schedule. Derby tends to be on Saturday nights, which makes it kind of hard to commit to, especially when there are concerts that need to be attended. (Back then, they were "work functions".))

Anyway, this past October, I finally went to my first bout, with the Denver Roller Dolls.

Unsurprisingly, it was love at first jam.

Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll be heading down to Denver to buy skates and pads. I'll practice while I'm home (we've got a big old basement that's gonna be great to skate around), and DRD tryouts are the weekend after I get back to Colorado. With any luck, I won't have to try out TOO many times til I make the cut - and until then, I can still attend drop-in derby.

I'm totally stoked about it. I'm looking forward to exercising more, challenging myself, and hanging out with what appears to be a group of dynamic, interesting women. I also took mom and dad to their first bout while they were here in November - hopefully, since it is actually a sport, I'll be able to get my dad and my little brother interested in it, which would give us something to talk about. (My brother LOVES sports - I really hope he gels to derby the way I have.)

No comments:

Post a Comment